The power of suggestion is a something we all have to deal with. Until the age of 18 years, many of us have heard many negative suggestion, from parents, siblings or peers – sometimes even with good intentions. The only way to reshape such a mental status is by being exposed to positive suggestion, either from others or from ourselves.
This is where auto-suggestion comes into play.
I know, it sounds like some esoteric zen-nonsense, but more often it appears to me that academics don´t like to hear about such a zen-nonsense – mainly because they fear that beeing the reason of their failure or succeess.
First of, when I mean affirmation, I mean to program the mind or subconsciousness, to work in a certain way.
Basically, what affirmation does is programing your subconsciousness to pay attention to the little things in your daily routine in order to navigate you better towards your goals.
Easy as that, but how is it established?
Below is a list with some ideas to get you started:
- Everything takes practice, exercise your mind. Often. Read books about that matter. James Murphyand Bob Proctor are a good start.
- Change habits in order to complain less.
- For social media it is a good idea to go through your friends list and unfollow all people who share bad, unpleasant and negative stuff. We have the power to decide what we want to subscribe – so please, do yourself a favor and decide for a positive way of thinking.
- This thought can easily result in the urge to throw away your television, that is totally normal and if you do that, it will lead to another level of enlightenment as well.
- If you use video on demand at a moderate level you can keep your television. The importance lies in not having to consume advertising or news.
- Learn to be patient. Learn the art of achieving things by forgetting them.
- Unsubscribe from negative thoughts wherever possible. The world is not all fluffy-puffy, but it is also not your fault that there is war anywhere in the world, unsubscribe from information that you can not change.
- Turn drawbacks into assets.
- Lean towards a network with people or institutions that have problems you CAN change, be it healthcare, childcare, neighbourhood help, whatsoever – get control over things. That gives you power back over your life and it feels good to be in control.
- Exercise your mind wherever possible, read books (text books) non fiction, autobiographies, ted-talks, whatsoever, there´s a huge list of things you can do to broaden your horizont.
- Meet likeminded people, make a group, meet often and share thoughts about the things you care the most.
- Avoid Burnout and stay motivated
- Write 3 pages after you wake up. Everyday. For at least 3 weeks. Things will happen.
- Unlearn or get rid of the emotions: fear, doubt and anger.
However, to entrench a working suggestion it takes time. Be patient. You can´t expect things to change in 3 weeks time. It may take years. In my case it took 9 years to find out that the suggestions were working -and now since 5 years I work effectively with them because I know they work.
Since around 13 years now, I apply this mental suggestion in the morning and evening, whenever I think of it. It is like a quick meditation on the go.
I was reading through my morning-pages from 14 years ago recently, and surprisingly I found that everything I´ve written down that I wanted to do or what I wanted to achieve in my life is achieved by now! (At leat career-wise) I credit the perfect sentence of affirmation for this as it helped me to skip doubt, anger and fear and allowed me to spend time with the right things and to decide for the right people.
And I blame this sentence to be blessed with “just-right-clients” who really appreciate what I do.
Good luck and let me know your story in a comment!
Actually I had planned to do an audiobook/ebook about how to succeed as a freelancer without burning out, I believe it will take some time and is postponed because my artistic work is more important right now. But if there is a core aspect of that course, the gist so to speak, the matter about self-affirmation and programming the right mindset is it.